Back to Special Sermons
The Greatest Giver!
Second Corinthians 9: 15; Romans 6: 23; Luke 2: 7
It's Christmas again!
It's the time to give and receive gifts.
Man has learned all that he knows about giving from God.
God is in the giving business.
- God gave Adam and Eve a piece of skin from an innocent animal to replace the fig leaves to cover
their shame of nakedness.
- God gave Noah a plan for the ark that would provide for the saving of his household when judgment came.
- God gave Abraham a promise concerning his seed.
It would be as the sands of the sea, the dust of the ground, and as the stars of the sky.
- God gave Sarah a precious miracle child in her old age, and she named him Isaac.
He became a mighty man of God.
- God gave Isaac the promised ram to take his place on the sacrificial altar on Mount Moriah
as Abraham raised the dagger.
God gave Jacob the privilege to father twelve sons
who were destined to become heads of the 12 tribes of Israel, the people of the Lord.
- God gave Joseph a position as prime minister in Egypt that he might rescue his own
from the terrible famine in the days ahead.
- God gave Moses the power to work miracles before Pharaoh and prove that God's hand was still with his own.
- God gave Joshua the purpose to cross the Jordan and lead the armies of Israel to victory in Canaan.
- God gave the Israelites possession of the land flowing with milk and honey.
- God gave kings to preside over His chosen people and blessed those who walked in His ways.
- God gave prophets to plead with His people and tell them of amazing things to come.
- God gave the Scriptures to prophesy of a Messiah, a Prophet, a Priest, and King, and a Saviour
who would come to deliver and save.
- God gave the shepherds a pronouncement by the angels that Jesus was born.
- God gave the wise men a preview by a star to lead them to the young child with their gifts.
- God gave Bethlehem the preeminence of all cities of the earth.
It was there that Jesus was born.
- God gave Joseph the patience to understand the strange circumstances of a virgin with child.
- God gave Mary the present coveted by all girls of Jewish history -- the Christ child.
- God gave the world the Prince of Peace, the answer to all ills of all time, in all places.
- God gave Jesus the place of sinners on the cross to bear the sorrow and shame.
God is the greatest giver!
- God gave all men pardon for their sins that they might know the joy of everlasting life.
Mankind can learn a lot about giving from God!
It is very obvious that Jesus is God's greatest gift to us.
- John tells us that "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son so that
whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
- James states, "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down
from the father of lights." (James 1:17)
- "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God."
Let us unwrap the gift and look at what God has for us.
God Wrapped Up His Gift In Old Testament Mystery.
Jesus can be found in every book, every chapter of the Bible.
He is found throughout the Old Testament when you unwrap the types, shadows, pictures, symbols, and prophecy.
You can find Jesus in the sacrificing of animals, the metals of the tabernacle, the colors of the garments,
and a thousand other places.
You will need to unwrap Him by meditation and study.
- He is the "seed" spoken of in Genesis 3:15: "His heel shall bruise the head of the serpent."
- He is the source of blessing in God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 12: 3:
"in thee shall all the families of the earth be blessed."
- He is the "sceptre" spoken of in Numbers 24:17 to rise out of Jacob and smite the nation of Moab.
- He is the One conceived by a virgin according to Isaiah 7:14.
- He is the "Immanuel" of Isaiah 9:6 that shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God,
the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.
He can be found throughout the Old Testament if only we will unwrap the gift.
- He is the "Messiah" that shall come forth only to be "cut-off," according to Daniel 9:26.
- He is the "ruler" in Israel to be born in Bethlehem of Judea, according to Micah the prophet in 5:2.
Mary Wrapped Up God's Gift In A Stable.
She wrapped him in swaddling clothes.
These are precious words.
They are treasured best by a mother who has experienced what Mary did.
But there is more wrapped up in those swaddling clothes than a little baby.
First, wrapped up this little baby is the fulfillment of all the Old Testament.
Every truth, every teaching, and every type concealed in the Old Testament is being held in the arms of Mary.
To understand the story of Moses smiting the rock, the brass serpent on a pole, the manna in the wilderness,
Jonah and the whale, or to understand the Psalms -- you have to watch closely what happens to this little baby.
Second, wrapped up inn this little baby is the fullness of Almighty God.
The God who created the heavens and earth divided the Red Sea, appeared in the burning bush,
delivered Daniel from the Lions and the three Hebrew boys from the fiery furnace,
is sleeping in the arms of Mary, wrapped in swaddling clothes.
Third, wrapped up in this little baby is the future of all Christians.
- John tells us that "The word became flesh and dwelt among us."
- Paul declares, "In him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily."
- Jesus, Himself said, "I and my Father are one."
The destiny of all people rests in their attitude and relationship to this little baby.
Satan wrapped up God's gift in ignorance.
- He has come to be their Saviour or their judge.
- He is only a little baby in Mary's arms, but He will soon confound the doctors in the temple.
- He will be introduced and baptized by John.
- He will work miracles and call disciples.
- He will die on a cross, be buried in a borrowed tomb and be resurrected the third day.
- He will ascend to the Father to become our intercessor, advocate, mediator, and great high priest.
Man will never know what is wrapped up in God's great gift if Satan has his way.
The Holy Spirit unwraps God's gift to all who believe.
- First, Satan has blinded the minds of men to the true value of the gift. (2 Corinthians 4: 4)
To the natural eye God's gift looks just like any other gift. (1 Corinthians 2:14)
The spiritual eye can see through the Devil's wrapping and see that Christ is more than a good teacher and reformer.
He is the Son of God!
- Second, Satan had bound men in tradition and religious customs.
Thousands have accepted their religion handed down to them by ancestors, and proceed through meaningless
formalities and never unwrap the gift.
- Third, Satan has built up barriers to Christ by sin and confusion.
The more sin and rebellion there is in the life, the harder it is to repent.
Evil habits and social sins tighten their grip, and the obstacles to Christ get higher each day.
Satan is wrapping up God's gift to keep unbelievers from knowing God's love.
Jesus promised that when He went back to the father, He would send One to teach and reveal this truth to all.
The blessed Spirit of God has come to unwrap the gift and help us understand.
The same Holy Spirit will unwrap Him to any sincere heart and show plainly that He is God's gift to you and me.
- God's gift was unwrapped for the shepherds to see.
- He was unwrapped for the wise men to present their gifts.
- He was unwrapped for Anna and Simeon to behold.
- He was unwrapped for John the Baptist by the descending dove in order that he might introduce him publicly.
- He was unwrapped to the disciples by His miracle working so that they might believe.
- He was unwrapped to Mary Magdalene at the tomb.
And after talking to whom she thought to be a stranger, she suddenly recognized Jesus and said, "Rabboni."
- He was unwrapped for Thomas to see the scars in His hands and feet, and he who could not believe cried out,
"My Lord and my God!"
Praise God for His unspeakable gift!
During the second World War, the Allied Army was advancing through France.
The Germans were making a last stand wherever they could.
During a night of heavy fog the opposing armies moved very close.
Only a long green meadow and one farmhouse separated them.
As dawn came, the fog lifted. Bullets and bombs began to explode, and men began to die.
After a long period of severe battle, the house in the green meadow was hit and began to burn.
Then someone whispered, "Look!"
It was unbelievable, but there was a small baby crawling across the field.
As the soldiers saw the child, the shooting stopped.
It became very still.
Every eye was on the baby.
Suddenly, a soldier raised up from his position, ran out into the open, grabbed the baby up in his arms,
and ran back to his line.
In a moment a great cheer went up on both sides, and the bullets began to fly again.
The baby brought peace just for a moment.
The war of ages has been in progress since Satan's rebellion against God.
Then, the baby Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea.
He will give eternal peace to all who will place their trust and faith in Him.
Unwrap God's Gift and receive God's greatest Gift right now!
Sermon by Dr. Harold L. White
Email Dr. White at firstname.lastname@example.org